Friday 21 July 2023
Friday 4 November 2022
Monday 9 August 2021
Although busy in the early part of 2021 getting the Finesse 24 ready for the water I have been working on various jobs on the Cutter when time allows.
|Bench assembly of new control panel
A new control panel had to be built for the engine 'from scratch' based on pictures and diagrams in the engine manuals and my own research. A frame was constructed and a sandwich of a sheet of marine plywood and 16 -gauge galv. steel sheet formed the panel. I had been collecting suitable instruments; oil pressure and temperature gauge and ammeter joined the tachometer that came loose with the engine. Speed control lever was fitted with link arm and rod to connect with governor quadrant and a rod and handle made to connect to the oil filter actuator lever.
|Control panel mounted to engine
Switch, pushbuttons and warning lamp were fitted and wired for glow plug, starter and dynamo control. A regulator for the dynamo has been hung on the back of the panel. The dynamo I've found is not 'correct' for this engine as it should have a CAV D45 model with attached regulator and the one I've opted for in the absence of the CAV is a Lucas C45 from a tractor of similar vintage that has a low-enough 'cutting-in' speed.
|Engine controls assembly underway.
Rod links governor quadrant with speed control lever.
|Overhauled fuel pump and injectors
After carrying out further tests I was not happy with the way the engine starts and runs and elected to have the injectors and pump checked and overhauled. One very big bill later the injectors have been fitted with new nozzles, pressures set and the pump cleaned and calibrated together with the supply of a new pair of injector pipes. The engine is now nearly ready to be lifted into the boat.
|Another old skinfitting hole to be plugged
|Final part of forefoot fitted
|Lifting eye holes plugged and filled
|Lifting eye and fish-plate now surplus
|Old bolt hole plugged with oak plug epoxied into place
In the boat I had continued plugging various surplus holes in her topsides and decided not to refit the forward lifting plate. This was originally secured by four 5/8" copper bolts that were fitted at odd angles which must have reduced the strength of the keel in this area. I was concerned about making all these fastenings watertight again after the removal and now that the scarf for the keel repair passes through the plane of half of the bolts. So, I have simply glued hardwood plugs into all the old fastening holes and have 'deleted' the lifting eye that will become a paperweight or some such. At the forefoot a final outer piece was glued and screwed on to replace the ragged and damaged timber here.
|Seacock refitted in its original location ahead of engine, aft of the centre bulkhead.
I had opened up the original location of the engine intake seacock and made a mounting plate for the thing and bolted it back in place. When the outside of the hull has been filled and faired I have a new bronze strainer/scoop to fit over the intake.
|Damp towels deployed in below waterline areas inboard
|White tarps to keep sun off
We had a brief heatwave late in July and damp towels and sacks were deployed together with the white tarps hung over the sides to protect the hull from direct sun. She has opened up a bit but I am trying to limit this as much as possible in the below waterline areas. I'm not keen on spraying fresh water around in a boat but this is treated tap water and it is not allowed to lie for long. From previous experience; if a clinker hull dries too much the strakes get tensioned across their width which encourages splitting along the lines of fastenings.
|Remains of a Cutter
|Just part of a keel with bits of hog and garboard
|Iron lifting eye still attached
We had been told about the existence of another Motor Cutter on the Haven and on a recent walk we found it... just the remains of it... only part of the keel with a lifting eye (iron) still attached. This boat appears to have been burnt when her usefulness was over. There is not enough left of this boat even for me to attempt to restore....
Sunday 31 January 2021
Following on from the previous post where we made a small repair section for the forward end of the keel and cut scarfs to fit now we fit it into place....
With the section in place holes were drilled for the new bolts and 3/8" bronze threaded rod used to make them. The existing bolt holes through the fore deadwood and hog were re-used
Bedding compound was made up in the traditional manner by mixing red-lead with linseed oil putty thinned with raw linseed oil.
The bolts were sealed by smearing them with bitumastic compound and a cotton grommet and everything was bolted-up tight.
|Ingredients for making re-lead putty
|Red-lead putty mixed and ready
|Bronze bolts sealed with bitumastic and cotton
|Bolted up tight
There was a smaller section of timber right on the curve of the forefoot that was crumbling from being encased in the iron 'shoe'. This again was a later addition and presumably a repair after past damage.
|Forefoot having a clean-up for a new piece of timber to be fitted
At this stage in our works the weather got colder and wetter and the virus pandemic halted our works.
|Varnishing - 3-coats for now to seal and protect the new timber
|Cardboard mock-up Lucas C45 dynamo to check for fit. The oil pressure gauge is temporary.
|This pulley had been fitted to the drive hub
|Pulley removed to leave the 1 3/4" spigot - this turns at 1.4 times engine speed
|This is what it should look like
|Control panel manufacture underway
Just before Christmas 2020 a timber supplier I occasionally order from was offering 1m3 bundles of sapele offcuts. I purchased one and a whole stack turned up so now we've got sufficient timber for pretty much all the internal joinery and also the framing for the cuddy and cabin top.
|Plenty of sapele - most of these are more than 4m long.