Monday 2 December 2019

New Project: 25ft Motor Cutter

After a busy summer of sailing and boating during which I have refurbished a plywood Miracle sailing dinghy for my grandsons to sail, I have made a start on a pending project in the shape of an ex-Admiralty 25ft Motor Cutter:-
Cutter on mooring - cover removed. The spar is the ridge pole.

She has remained tight and floats on high tides

A nice-looking work boat.

She had been on a lay-up mooring with a tarpaulin over her to keep the weather out. On a recent high tide she was floated off and towed to a local boatyard and lifted out.  Now chocked-up in the yard work can commence.
Towed to the boatyard..

..waiting for the boatyard hoist.

First jobs are to strip the paint and tar from her bottom to assess the condition of her planking and to get some timber and fastenings on order to replace a few of her broken timbers.


Some of the bottom planking looks a bit tired, worn plank-edges.


She is currently engineless so I will concentrate on interior repairs and painting. There is a lot to do and I would like to source some hardwood to make new thwarts, side benches, lockers and engine casing.

Delivered to the yard for me to work on her.

5 comments:

  1. How is your restoration progressing? I have restored and operated two 25ft Motor Cutters in the past. Super boats. Are there any numbers carved into the transom or top of the stem? If so, we may be able to find out which ships she served on.. Jeremy Shaw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jeremy,
    Thank you for your comment; apologies for the delay in replying, I did not have notifications switched-on.
    My Cutter is No. 549 and has build date 6.1944, presumably June 1944. She also has 'BOM' carved under the numbers which I assume is the dockyard of origin. I'm told this was Bombay?
    I have just updated the blog. Work to date has completed the repairs to her bent frames and work has started on replacing her thwarts and the misdhips bulkhead. Since the coronavirus lock-down I have been unable to work with my buddy but have been able to have a new fuel tank and propeller shaft coupling specially made.
    It would be great to be able to research her history.
    Amongst the literature I've collected is an article in an edition of the Vintage Wooden Boat Association newsletter about these boats; was that written by yourself?
    Many thanks and regards,
    Bill Dowell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bill,
    Thank you for confirming her boat number. Would you be able to share a photo of her number and any associated lettering? The month and year were not usually recorded on the boats. I can then start making enquiries about her Service history.
    I am most impressed that you will be re-installing an original-pattern Dorman. Early boats were fitted with Dormans, later ones with Enfield HO2s.
    Yes, I wrote the article about Motor Cutters published in the VWBA newsletter. I am amazed it has re-surfaced after all these years! I hope you found at least some helpful pointers.
    With best wishes,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jeremy,
    I will try and update the blog later today with a new post that includes pictures showing the boat's numbers.
    Could we possibly take our conversation about the boat away from this comments section, which is public? I can be contacted on redwing228@hotmail.com or 07787 574807
    Many thanks and regards,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Bill,
    Thank you, I look forward to seeing the updated photos.
    Certainly - I will move across to email.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete